Several trainings serving also as informal meetings were conducted in the region of Osogovo in the framework of the project Supporting a Sustainable Future for People and Nature in Osogovo Mountain. The trainings are part of the activities related to the improvement of the knowledge about large carnivores in Osogovo as foundation for decision-making processes, which is one of the objectives of the ongoing project.They included:
- A meeting for identification of the interested parties (June, 2016);
- Training for students from the region of Osogovo with special interest in biology and nature protection. The trainings were also attended by the students’ teachers and included a field trip in the mountain (July, 2016);
- Training for field staff of the Regional Directorate Border Police Kyustendil (July, 2016);
- Training for representatives of the forest units, hunting society and tourism sector in Osogovo (October, 2016);
- Training for hunters from the Anglers and Hunters Society "ELEN" - Kyustendil (February 2017).
The trainings were subject of great interest by the participants and kindled various discussions. Trainer was D-r Diana Zlatanova, associated professor at the Department of Zoology and Anthropology at the Biology Faculty of the “St. Kliment Ohridski” University, who is also the project’s large carnivore expert.
Nearly 80 participants took part in the trainings and each one of them received a set of the tools specially designed for the training - a form for monitoring by traces of bear, wolf and lynx, as well as a brochure for identification of traces of the aforementioned species.
Another important result of the training, beside improvement of the knowledge in regards to large carnivores in Osogovo, was the identification of such participants, who are willing to be part of the monitoring process of large carnivores in Osogovo including regular check of camera-traps and collection of direct and indirect evidences for the presence of large carnivores in the project region.